Thursday, July 11, 2013

First day in a foreign city

I have always known that not everyone is very friendly and hospitable but usually people aren't very mean to tourist because they are the ones that generate some national income if you realized. 

My blog from today onwards shall be a record of my stay in Melbourne,Australia. I need to say that all the bad things I mention here is only a once off event to warn people to be more careful and not to take things for granted. There are really plenty of amazing people that made my day during my stay here. Let's just say that I am unlucky, but please be careful.

First day after arriving I decided to open a bank account locally to pay my bills and expenses here. Shall not name the bank, but here's my nightmare. Went to a bank, set up an account only to have the teller putting the cash I deposited into somebody else's account. Madness! I am not taking about AUD50 or even AUD5000 here and this is totally unforgivable. If not for my dad I probably kill myself in this city on the first day. Immediately, got the bank manager to rectify the problem yet not a single apology was given.

Never mind that. The person who supposed to help me open my account disappeared without going through the entire procedure. No client id, no bank account number provided no nothing. He wasn't even there to help when the teller put the money into the wrong account. Freaking irresponsible.

Next nightmare. Wait for a week to realise that the irresponsible guy who initially helped me to open my account did not verify my address and sent my debit card to the wrong address. How sweet! This has nothing to do with my accent because all the  other aussies can understand why not him? Even so, he could have verified if he didn't understood like previously letting me type in my email address. I had to go to the bank to have someone else close my case and clean up after that guy. And now, almost two weeks I have yet to receive my debit card, how efficient!

I am very disappointed with how the bank worked here. Although I know that it is not a financial hub like Singapore, some mistakes are absolutely unforgivable and minimum service recovery must be done. I have to praise UOB, perhaps other banks in Singapore are equally efficient but I think should share my experience. Unlike here, they sit down one to one, explain every details, hand the cash after verifying the amount in front of you and let you check your ibanking account immediately to verify. Bank account details, packages provided immediately. 

I only realised how many things I took for granted after I left my country, especially efficiency. I wouldn't say for all but majority.

Nevertheless, I have to thank God for a really kind staff from the bank, she help me with the rest of the procedure, gave me my client id and everything. if not for her I couldn't even check my account.Perhaps a small blessing after so much shit.

Next, school registration.

I have met the most slip-short and unhelpful staff ever. Went to do my account, had my existing portal account frozen after registration and the staff who was supposed to help couldn't be bothered, leaving me to fend for myself. My question is you are a foreigner yourself and once new in a foreign environment. I am not even asking you to go an extra mile but the very least solve my problem. The joke is the eCOE given to the school and other documentation has the right birth date and the staff keyed in the wrong one and blamed me for it ? Seriously?

Praised the Lord for guiding me, he sent me another angel to rectify the problem and brought me personally to the IT helpdesk and problem solved. Why can't everybody just do their part? Then again shit people sort of create a huge contrast, portraying these helpful souls as amazing angels in people's life.

That night,honestly,I cried a lot. Never this much in my life because I have so much to fear. It didn't help that people living at the place were freaking unfriendly. Fill you up the next time! See ya peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment